Wrongful Death Lawyer
If someone is killed due to another person’s negligence or willful act, the family members of the deceased may file a wrongful death lawsuit. Wrongful death was implemented to reinforce cautiousness and preventing negligence as well as financially helping widows and orphaned children.
Should someone be charged for a criminal offense and acquitted, they may still be charged for wrongful death in civil court. Negligence can be applied to someone who unintentionally leads to the death of another person. For example, if a firearm owner leaves a loaded weapon in the open for a child to obtain and accidentally inflicts a fatal injury on themselves the owner of the firearm can be charged for wrongful death due to negligence. Those who can sue another for wrongful death varies from state to state. Usually, wrongful death cases occur after a criminal court case and require less standard of proof.
Additionally, drownings can count towards wrongful death suits. Private and public pools are dangerous for children who may wander off and accidentally fall in and drown. This usually happens when a homeowner has no fence around their pool to prevent this tragedy. Aviation accidents are also able to be taken to court for wrongful death. The tragic aviation accidents we experience in the world are rare, however, when they do happen, negligence is sometimes involved.
If your loved one was killed in an accident caused by another party’s negligence, allow the compassionate lawyers with Attorney Tom help you file a wrongful death claim. Our experienced wrongful death lawyers will fight to make sure that you recover all of the compensation you and your family are entitled to. We can review your wrongful death case when you call 713-244-6363 and schedule a free and confidential consultation.
Why Do I Need A Lawyer?
Having a wrongful death lawyer will help you build a case in your state putting you in a better position to receive the full and fair compensation you deserve. In some states, a family member may want to sue for wrongful death for a loved one they may not actually be able to. Laws like family immunity require someone with extensive legal knowledge, especially since each state can choose how they wish to handle the restrictions.
If a wrongful death occurs in a publicly owned location, a lawyer will be able to provide greater success in obtaining compensation in a lawsuit against the city or state. While a jury can adjust the amount awarded in a case, they do not have the final word. Having a lawyer will help prevent a decrease in the amount obtained from the court case. If there is serious wrongdoing, you may be able to press punitive damages. Contact an attorney to find out whether or not your state allows punitive damages.
In some instances, a person may be suspected of causing a death intentionally. Typically they will be tried in a criminal court first. If they are acquitted, they can then be tried in a civil court for wrongful death. Having a lawyer will increase your chances exponentially to win a court case for wrongful death. Wrongful death cases can be very tricky and can complex. Allow an experienced and compassionate wrongful death attorney to handle all legal matters for you during this difficult time.
Why Choose Attorney Tom to Handle Your Case?
Our knowledgable and skilled lawyers provide the highest quality of care for your case. We stand up for the rights of our clients who have a lost a loved one due to another party’s negligence. In every case we handle, we strive to go above and beyond in our efforts in helping clients maximize their recovery. You may be wondering why you should choose attorney Tommy Kherkher.
Tommy Kherkher graduated cum laude from South Texas College of Law in just two and a half years. He is a family man who wants to hold the liable parties accountable for their negligent and wrongful actions. Tommy Kherker has built a reputation as an attorney who cares deeply about protecting his client’s rights and one who fights tirelessly for the full and fair compensation they deserve. His hard work and persistence has led to an outstanding track record of success in the courtroom. Tommy Kherker is not afraid to tackle the most difficult and complicated wrongful death cases. He puts you and your family, first. If you are looking for a dedicated and experienced lawyer, look no further than Attorney Tom.
Types Of Cases We Handle
The following are some common wrongful death cases:
- Automobile Deaths: Car accident deaths are the most common due to the high number of people who drive regularly. Many of these fatal accidents are caused by negligent drivers.
- Medical Malpractice: There are instances where the negligent actions of a medical professional can lead to the wrongful death of a patient.
- Accidents at Work: A wrongful death can occur at work due to the negligence of an employee or due to defective equipment.
- Defective Products: A manufacturer may be negligent in the production of their products, leading to a wrongful death.
- Aviation Incidents: While these are rare occurrences, they do happen and can potentially result in a large number of fatalities. If negligence is found to have caused the accident, wrongful death can be pursued.
In order to pursue a case in court you need to meet certain criteria:
- The death of a person
- Remaining family and or beneficiaries financially affected by the persons passing
- Negligence or malpractice involved in the person’s death
- Personal representative appointed
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some questions we often get regarding wrongful death cases. We hope you find our answers helpful. If you have further questions about your case, please call us today at 713-244-6363 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. We want to help in any way we can.
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of income
- Loss of physical health
- Mental anguish
- Loss of care by a guardian or parent
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral costs
This list is not exhaustive. If you have questions about the types of compensation you may be entitled to for your particular wrongful death, contact an experienced attorney by calling 713-244-6363.
National Wrongful Death Statistics
The following statistics provide a picture of the prevalence and causes of accidental and wrongful deaths in the United States.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2017 in the United States, there were 169,936 deaths due to unintentional injury, making it the No. 3 leading cause of death. This number does not even include fall, traffic, and poisoning deaths that are unintentional. Those would bring the count to over 300,000.
- Medical malpractice results in around 90,000 deaths annually, and 20% of medical errors result in a fatality.
- Approximately 5,000 work-related accidents end in a wrongful death.
- Almost 4,000 people drown every year in the U.S. Nearly 400 of the deaths are from boating-related accidents, according to the CDC. About 20% of people who die from drowning are kids age 14 and younger.
- There were almost 500 fatalities from commercial airline crashes in 2018, according to the Aviation Safety Network.
Attorney Tom will fight for you and ensure you receive full and fair compensation. Do not hesitate to contact us for a free consultation by calling us at 713-244-6363.