What Should You Do If You Were Injured in A Hit and Run Accident in Texas?
A hit and run accident is when a driver hits another vehicle, person, animal, or property, then flees the scene without giving insurance information or stopping to see if who they hit is okay or even injured. If you have been injured in a hit and run accident, you should immediately get medical care for yourself and other injured people. After you have been seen by a medical professional, call a hit and run attorney (Attorney Tom) in Texas. We can protect your rights.
Stay Calm and Stay at The Scene
If your vehicle was crashed into by a hit and run driver, do not pursue immediately after. Any driver who causes an accident and flees the scene could potentially be dangerous. You are also legally required to stay at the scene and wait for law enforcement. If you are able to drive your vehicle, move it to the side of the road.
Get as Much Evidence as Possible
If you can you should document as much evidence as possible. Take pictures with your phone and also take notes of what you can remember about the person that hit you to help the police track down the offender. You can include such information as:
- Photos of external and internal damage of your car.
- Location using street signs, mile markers, and landmarks for orientation of the accident scene
- Notate the date and time of the accident
- Write down any information you can remember about the car or the driver including the make, model, color, bumper stickers, and any other identifying marks you can remember.
It is possible that traffic cameras may have photographed the vehicle if by chance the driver was speeding or ran a red light.
Recovering Compensation For your Injuries in A Hit and Run Accident
Regularly in a car accident, both drivers in the accident exchange phone numbers and insurance information. This gets more complicated when a driver flees the scene of an accident. If the driver who hit you has not been arrested, we will explore your possible options for coverage. A hit and run attorney in Texas can assist you in preparing for what is to come also assist you in filing a claim. This well help cover accident expenses such as:
- Medical bills
- Car Repair
- Lost Wages
Showing Liability in A Hit and Run Accident
In a hit and run accident you could be eligible to seek compensation. If you got severely injured in the accident, you could possibly be facing significant medical bills along with an extended recovery period. The last thing you need is a financial hardship. Attorney Tom can assist you in paying for medical bills, car repairs and other expenses.
Our Recommendations If You Were Injured In a Hit and Run Accident
- Seek medical care and follow your healthcare professionals’ recommendations
- Keep all related receipts and bills associated with your accident
- Provide the police with any information you can about the driver or vehicle
- Call Attorney Tom for a free case evaluation
- Talk to an insurance adjuster without consulting with Attorney Tom or an attorney
- Share your entire medical history with the insurance adjuster
- Post about your accident on social media
- Attempt to find the driver who hit you on your own
The Reasons Some Drivers Hit and Run
In Texas most drivers do the right thing and remain at the scene of an accident to exchange information, also to give a statement to the police. Unfortunately, there are some several reasons why some of the drivers flee the scene of an accident, including:
- Suspended or lost driver’s license
- No auto insurance
- Stolen Vehicle
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Committing a crime
- Outstanding arrest warrant
- Company car driven without permission
Call Attorney Tom Today
Attorney Tom‘s injury lawyers are dedicated to providing the highest-quality representation for accident victims and their families. Attorney Tom helps victims of hit and run accidents protect their rights. Call today anytime at (713) 244-6363.