Houston Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Motorcycle accidents often leave victims with serious injuries, chronic pain, and exorbitant expenses. Even if you were wearing a helmet at the time of an accident, the impact of a collision can cause internal organ damage and other life-altering injuries. If you were injured because of the carelessness or recklessness of another driver, do not shoulder the burden your injury-related expenses alone. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney will evaluate the facts of your case, investigate the collision, tally all of your current and ongoing expenses, and pursue the compensation that you deserve.
Deciding to hire a particular motorcycle injury lawyer isn’t always easy for many victims. Motorcycle accident victims often feel uncertain about their rights, unfamiliar with the injury claims process, and do not know how to hire a lawyer to represent them. When you are hurt and dealing with incredible expenses, you want to feel confident that your case will receive the personal attention that it deserves. Ultimately, the attorney that you trust to handle your case will play a significant role in recovering compensation that you need.
If you are dealing with pain, expense, lost mobility, and compromised quality of life following a motorcycle injury, Attorney Tom has your back. We are ready to fight for you and guide you through this difficult time. When you hire our team to take your case, we promise to make the process as easy as possible for you. We are accessible whenever you have questions, concerns, or simply want an update.
Above all, we are here to make sure that your rights are being represented and that you have the resources you need to heal and move on after a serious motorcycle accident. Give our Houston motorcycle accident attorneys a call today at (713) 244-6363 or contact us online to get in touch with a team that cares.
Do I Need a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
If you are serious about holding the at-fault party accountable for the damage that they have caused, legal representation is crucially important. Not only do many injury victims lack the legal experience to effectively manage their injury claim, but they also simply don’t have the resources. Serious motorcycle injuries can easily rob victims of their ability to work and even focus. The excruciating pain of an injury, coupled with lost mobility, can compromise victims’ earning potential indefinitely.
When you are hurt, your financial compensation should reflect the complete scope of your losses. Injury victims without the benefit of a lawyer’s knowledge run the risk of accepting a quick settlement far beneath the amount of compensation that they deserve. While a quick resolution can seem like a positive development, you shouldn’t agree to the initial offer from the at-fault party’s insurer unless a lawyer has valued your claim. A skilled personal injury lawyer will make sure that you do not agree to a low-ball settlement.
Additionally, when you file an injury claim, the at-fault party is seldom always quick to accept blame. Depending on where your accident occurred, the state may follow strict comparative negligence laws that favor the motorist or motorists who caused the crash. For example, in states that observe pure contributory negligence laws, if the at-fault party is able to successfully argue that you had any part in causing the motorcycle accident, no matter how insignificant, it could prevent you from collecting compensation entirely.
With hard work and persistence, Attorney Tom will always fight to uphold your rights and interests. When someone else’s wrongdoing has left you in pain, in financially dire straits, and compromised your quality of life, they should not be able to evade justice. We are ready to aggressively protect your rights and entitlement to a full range of compensation.
Motorcycle Accident Cases We Handle
According to preliminary data from the Governors Highway Safety Association, 4,798 motorcyclists died in 2017 traffic accidents alone. If you have lost a family member in a motorcycle accident, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim. While taking legal action will not bring your loved one back, a settlement can bring some much-needed closure while providing financial relief for expenses your family has incurred because of the accident.
Most motorcycle injuries are the result of other drivers on the road who are inattentive, distracted, operating their vehicles recklessly, or who otherwise fail to abide by traffic laws. Survivors of these motorcycle injuries suffer from a range of injuries, some of which include:
- Broken bones – The impact of motorcycle accidents, even at lower speeds, can easily leave victims with fractures and broken bones. Front impact collisions often cause femoral and tibial breaks. Broken wrists, arms, and collarbones are also common.
- Nerve damage – When an accident causes a biker to land sideways on the road, it can cause an injury called biker’s arm. This sideways landing torques the shoulder forward, causing nerve damage which will manifest as tingling and pain in the upper arm.
- Spinal cord injuries (SCI) – Motorcycle accidents often compromise the intricate nerve network in the spinal column. These injuries can leave to full or partial paralysis depending on the extent of the injury to the nerves.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) – Unfortunately, brain injuries are common outcomes of motorcycle accidents. While helmets provide critical protections to motorcyclists, they can’t always prevent brain injuries.
- Road rash – The friction created when a motorcyclist’s skin is pulled across the road at high speeds is traumatic. This friction tears flesh easily, causing nerve damage and other painful injuries such as avulsion injuries, compression injuries, deep wounds, even disfigurement.
- Hearing damage – Motorcyclists have fewer protections from road noises which can impact their hearing long term. Absorbing a significant impact can also cause injury to the bones in the inner ear, which often results in irreversible hearing loss.
- Eye Injuries – Accidents and collisions can cause objects to become lodged in the eye, scratch the retina, or break the bones surrounding the orbital socket.
- Internal organ damage – Collisions at any speed can leave motorcyclists or passengers with significant injuries to their internal organs which often leads to internal bleeding. These injuries should be addressed and treated as soon as possible.
Recovering and learning to live with injuries is a process. If you or someone you love have been the victim in a motorcycle accident because of someone else’s negligence, you deserve a skilled attorney to fight for you.
Frequently Asked Questions About Motorcycle Crashes
When you are going through the process of finding an attorney to represent your case, you probably have questions. It is incredibly important to be selective about your lawyer to get the best possible result. We stand ready to address all of your questions and concerns. Read over some of our frequently asked questions and give us a call at (713) 244-6363 or contact us online today to schedule an appointment for a free case evaluation.
Avulsion injuries are particularly painful and often occur when a motorcycle slides out, dragging the motorist along the road. These injuries occur when the victim’s joint, ligament, muscle, or tendon detach from the bone. It is also not uncommon for a piece of the bone to fracture away and pulled off of the rest of the bone. As you may imagine, these injuries are incredibly painful and require medical intervention and time to heal properly.
Depending on where your accident occurred, you may be able to collect compensation even if you played a role in causing the accident. Each state has certain rules that determine how much an injury victim can collect if they are found partially responsible. Generally, these rules fall into three categories:
- Pure contributory negligence – If you are found even the slightest bit at fault, you cannot collect any compensation for your losses.
- Pure comparative fault – If you are mostly at fault, you can still collect compensation. For example, if you are 75% at fault, you can still collect 25% in damages from the other at-fault party.
- Modified comparative negligence – Victims who bear less than 50% or 51% depending on the state, can still collect compensation for damages.
By hiring a personal injury lawyer to represent you, you can protect yourself from false or fabricated claims by the at-fault party.
According to data released by the National Center for Statistics and Analysis (NCSA), 1,859 motorcyclists were saved because of their helmets in 2016. The NCSA also projects that 802 lives could have been spared in 2016 had all motorcyclists worn a helmet at the time of their accident. While helmets are not a cure-all for head injuries, the Centers for Disease Control reports that wearing one can reduce the risk of serious head injuries by 69%.
States with strict or universal helmet laws have higher motorcyclist survival rates than states that do not. Even if you are planning to travel a short distance on a motorcycle, always wear your helmet; it could save your life.
Contact a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
You can’t control how careful other drivers behave, but you can control who you hire to represent you when someone else is negligent and causes you harm. Attorney Tom is ready to stand with you and fight for your rights when a serious motorcycle accident has completely disrupted your life. To discuss your case with a team that cares about your path to recovery, call (713) 244-6363 today or reach out to us online to schedule a free consultation.